During my pregnancy massage I use a special bodyCushion which allows you to lie on your front (prone) in total comfort and is very safe for you and your baby. All my client’s love this cushion as they have not been able to lie on their fronts for quite some time.
I massage from the 12th week of pregnancy, once you have had your first scan. The cushion is also great to use for postnatal massage too as it has cut outs for the abdomen and chest area, which takes the pressure off those areas, especially when the milk is coming in.
I can also use Aromatherapy Essential Oils to enhance the benefits of the massage that are safe for both you and baby. They are a huge benefit during pregnancy especially if you are suffering pelvic girdle pain, sciatica, cramp during pregnancy, and aches and pains in your back and hips.
Pregnancy is a wonderful time for a woman, but is also a time of many physical changes due to the extra weight from the baby putting pressure on joints, ligaments and organs often causing discomfort and pain.
Not only can pregnancy massage be physically beneficial, but the human touch can be comforting and provide emotional support during your pregnancy and preparation for giving birth. Pregnancy massage therapy has also been found to reduce anxiety and depression.
Research shows that the babies can also benefit greatly from massage as the “feel good” endorphins released by the mother during the massage are passed onto the baby. I often feel the baby come up to the surface to have a little massage of their own.
Receiving regular massage throughout the pregnancy is a great way to nurture your body and become aware of the growing baby within. This also helps with the ability to relax during labour often resulting in shorter and easier births, less pain and a lower rate of post-natal complications.
The benefits of pregnancy massage:-
- Induces deep relaxation and peaceful sleep – When you are relaxed you will find that your sleep improves.
- Helps to reduce emotional stress, anxiety and creates a sense of well-being – as already stated pregnancy is a time of great change and this, along with fluctuating hormones and broken sleep can sometimes cause stress levels to rise. This is ok as long as the stress is also balanced with time to relax and be nurtured. Regular massages gives you the space to deeply relax and rejuvenate and the time to enjoy your pregnancy and transition into motherhood.
- Eases pregnancy discomfort – Massage can soothe back and shoulder pain, sciatica, cramp, sore hips and tired legs.
- Stimulation of the circulation – This will distribute essential nutrients and fluid to all the vital organs, especially the placenta which will feed and aid the development of the baby.
- Reduces swelling – Massage eases oedema in the feet, legs, hands and wrists, and helps to avoid varicose veins from developing.
- Blood pressure – Helps to lower or keep blood pressure balanced.
- Oxytocin – Massage encourages the release of Oxytocin which is a pain reducing hormone providing vital relief of pain during labour and birth.
Although pregnancy massage is suitable for most women, there are a few conditions that massage is contraindicated and either massage can not go ahead or you will need a Dr or Midwife approval prior to massage, these are:
- High blood pressure (Hypertension)
- Any vaginal bleeding/leaking
- High risk pregnancy
- Pelvic or abdominal pain or cramping
- Deep vein thrombosis (blood clots)
- Reduced fetal movement in the last 8/10 hours
- Severe nausea or vomiting
- Regular uterine contractions before 37 weeks
To find out more about my pregnancy massage, please either call me on t: 01932 227508 m: 07900 278253 email: enquiries@pregnancymassagesurrey
To see my availability and book an appointment click on the link below: